L.A. Bytes the new book from P.A. Brown from MLR Press.
This put Chris and David back on a case that ends up overlapping with each other. There is lack of relationship in this story, which is disappointing because after they...
[SPOILERS]
.
.
[SPOILERS]
got married at the end of L.A. Boneyard, I was hoping for more growth with these two now married. However, the whole case and mystery aspect...WOW! This has to be the best mystery I have read in my small scope of reading this genre. I mean people consider Josh Lanyon the mastermind of the mystery genre in gay fiction. P.A. Brown blows all his books and some, by this one novel. Superb, superb, superb. I know the author commented on personal problems that prevented her from writing anymore of the books after L.A. Heat. We waited along time, and the fact she's released two highly emotional NOVEL sized (I mean 300+ pages here) quite close together, and kept that standard of high quality and creativity blows my mind. I have been thoroughly spoiled by this writer. MLR Press better know how lucky they are with P.A. Brown. In all honesty this book could totally be pitched for a movie, and if it was it'd be EPIC.
There where a few niggles as I said, Chris and David still don't talk to each other. It's frustrating because after everything they've been through, they just don't talk. I mean someone threatens Chris and David, and he doesn't bother to tell David. I know the last book was heavy on the relationship aspect, but I think the last book found a happy medium with a case and the relationship. This book was all about the case with a dash of relationship, which kind of comes off like a typical general mystery book. There was the usual quick tie off at the end, which was a shame considering how much was happening. The authors conclusion to the previous book, also felt rushed. There was also the "why did the killer aim at Chris and David" that was not explained. Unless I missed it because, I tend to read so many books at once?
Anyway, a superb read. Out of five I'd give it a 4.5.
2 comments:
good on you, Pat, another job well done.
Victor
Victor,
Pat is a talented author, and I hope she writer more and more stories in the L.A. world.
Post a Comment