Thursday, 25 September 2008

[book four]


I finished reading Josh Lanyon's fourth book in the Adrien English Mysteries. I've seem loads of reviews, praising the book - and I guess I'm in the minority I didn't enjoy it that much. I thought the initial plot was...flimsy at best. I've always loved the series for the mere fact, the author writes a solid mystery that keeps you guessing. But this one didn't, and I think it took a more "mainstream" m/m route. I suppose no one will understand what I mean, but if you do you get a gold star. I didn't feel the same tone and the same excitement in this book.

However I did enjoy the difference in Jake. I adored him from the beginning: he's broken, confused, slightly homophobic yet so damn pitiful. A true anti-hero if we ever had one. I also found Adrien less whiny - and more aggressive, sure Jake and Lisa saw Adrien as a bitter man, but I saw it as Adrien finally grieving.

But anyway, I liked what the author did with the characters, I just don't have much of an opinion for the rest of the book. But I have to say, I didn't hate Guy and I'm glad the author didn't make him into the annoying boyfriend. We get that enough already. Oh and lastly despite having a soft spot for Jake, the whole cheating thing because wa-wa I'm in the closest really fucking annoys me. It annoyed me in the beginning, but it annoyed me even more, since he was actually married. But I guess that adds to the whole, he's actually a bastard who is feeling sorry for himself.

So for the characters I'd give 8/10
For the plot I'd give 4/10
Overall 12/20

No comments: