Tuesday, 22 July 2008

Too Damn Expensive

Why is it that if I just want to buy a random book online, it'll cost me five - six pounds. But when I want to buy books from publishers like Samhain Publishing, Loose Id, Torquere Books or many of the other publishers who print (some) of their e-books I have to pay close to eight to eleven pounds?

Why?

Why I should I pay these publishers such a hefty price, because I want to buy a certain book in paper book format? And it's not only e-publishers but almost (all) gay/lesbian themed books are atrociously priced.

Examples: (taken from amazon UK)

Embrace the Night by Karen Chance - priced at 3.99 (published in 2008)

Dark Elves: Salvation by Jet Mykles - priced 6. 97 (via seller) (published 2008)

There is a difference between these two. Because the fact remains unless I buy enough books to get the free delivery, I'm going to be paying 2.75 or something on top of that for delivery.

i.e. 3.99 + 2.75 = 6.74
i.e. 6.97 + 2.75 = 9.72
i.e. 6.74 - 9.72 = 2.98

I'm still paying close to an extra 3 pounds for Mykle's book. (i.e. $6 EUR3.79)

Let's forget about amazon and head over to somewhere that doesn't charge for delivery. The Book Depository.

Lolita by Vladamir Nabokov - priced at 5.21
Ties That Bind by Laura Baumbach et al - priced at 9.57

i.e. 5.21 - 9.57 = 4.36

It is getting harder and harder for me to buy any gay fiction via paperback. E-reading is not my choice of reading. I love holding a book in my hand, and flipping pages and then bookmarking with a good-ol' book-marker I bought from Borders. But the fact remains, these prices need to come down some. Because I am not paying close to ten quid for a book.

I don't buy directly from amazon, I tend to buy from the seller's due to the fact only seller's sell the book I want, or because they are slightly cheaper than Amazon. I would buy from sites like Book-A-Million, but if I pay $5.99 I'll be paying twice that for delivery, so no point there.

Unless someone has a good place to get gay fiction books for cheap?


No comments: