Over at DA the author posted a discussion talking about things that cannot bring a hero back. The usual rapists, pedophile etc are the main ones people would not accept as being a trait that could be forgiven. To be frank there is no publisher in this world that would publish a pedophile character anyway, or characters who love to get it on with animals. So that's a no brainer. However, for me it's cheating. I tend to get itchy feet when the character is thinking of someone else in a sexual/romantic way. It's a very personal thing (and no I've never been cheated on in real life). It's a moral thing I assume.I know author's tend to add these kind of plot lines in to add drama and angst. P.A. Brown did that in L.A. Mischief (kind off) and definitely in L.A. Boneyard. Jordan Castillo Price has done that in her Psycop novels the ever burning tension between Vic and Crash. K.A. Mitchell did it in Regularly Scheduled Life (♥). Alexa Snow did it in her Serve and Protect Anthology contribution (from Torquere Press, grear story). You get my point. Some of these only went far as thoughts and kissing, but even that puts my back-up. I don't think I've ever read a story that went full out (except an amazing free online story by savante). I suppose the closest thing I got to the feeling of full meltdown was Jourdan Lane's Soulmates stories started to head into the menage scene. I've ranted about my hate enough for that; but nothing pisses me more off than unfaithful characters - even in the slightest ways.
There are some author's who'll I'll trust to give me quality. Now even if I don't agree with what they have written, the overall enjoyment or admiration of a story will still allow me to appreciate the story. AS LONG as I enjoy the overall plot and writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment