
I go on about this enough in my head, that I feel like if I don't word vomit it out I might explode. Whilst everyone is entitled to their fantasies, can someone please tell me why publishers keep releasing Ménage à trois stories? This is probably the 50% of the reason why I have stopped buying e-books as much as I once did. Do these authors find it incredibly hard to focus on a two-person relationship? I am so tired of falling for characters, only to find the author has another book in the series - but wait, he or she is adding a third or fourth or fifth or sixth. I hate investing my time on an author, who does that.
I stay away from menages, but I can't be blamed when I'm not warned about stuff like this. Sometimes I wonder, the reason why so many authors write them, is to write as much sex as they can. That may tickle many people, but it doesn't tickle me. There will be probably one in a million authors who can make a three-way work. And sadly, they aren't going to be coming from those publishers who print them like killer bees are going out of style.
However, with this new start I'm going to be using this BLOG as a means of positivity (yeah right). I have been on a reading frenzy for the last two day, and I thank Ms. Suzanne Brockman for the inspiration. Her novel All Through the Night just gave me what I've been dying for. A good romance story between two adorable characters. Whilst the author isn't a genius word maker, she does do what a lot e-author can't or won't, and that is to write a traditional love story between two men. There was action, angst and love. Everything I want in a novel. I've gone back and bought Hot Target (and will be buying A Force of Nature ).
After reading this novel, I bought A.M. Riley's The Elegant Corpse, one of the most underrated authors in e-publishing, she did a phenomenal job with the mystery aspect of the story. Then I bought Another Fine Mess a anthology edited by Syd McGinley. I bought this story for Laney Cairo's contribution, but I ended up enjoying the anthology very much. Out of the ten stories, I disliked two. After that I read Home of his Own by T.A. Chase and it is very much trademark cheese from this author. It was an o.k. novel, but I sort of felt like I wasted my time too. Lastly I finally bought Game of the Season by Willa Okati, and I think I liked this better than the novel (Name of the Game). I finished reading Blue Ruin [01]: Some Kind of Stranger, and didn't like it. I won't be touching the sequel with a ten inch pole.
I'm trying to figure out what I should read tonight, I was thinking of Paul's Dream by Rowan McBride or trying Capital Games by G.A. Hauser. What I really want is to read a good story about kids my age. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and by Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.
I stay away from menages, but I can't be blamed when I'm not warned about stuff like this. Sometimes I wonder, the reason why so many authors write them, is to write as much sex as they can. That may tickle many people, but it doesn't tickle me. There will be probably one in a million authors who can make a three-way work. And sadly, they aren't going to be coming from those publishers who print them like killer bees are going out of style.
frus·trat·ed
–adjective
| 1. | disappointed; thwarted: an announcer who was a frustrated actor. |
After reading this novel, I bought A.M. Riley's The Elegant Corpse, one of the most underrated authors in e-publishing, she did a phenomenal job with the mystery aspect of the story. Then I bought Another Fine Mess a anthology edited by Syd McGinley. I bought this story for Laney Cairo's contribution, but I ended up enjoying the anthology very much. Out of the ten stories, I disliked two. After that I read Home of his Own by T.A. Chase and it is very much trademark cheese from this author. It was an o.k. novel, but I sort of felt like I wasted my time too. Lastly I finally bought Game of the Season by Willa Okati, and I think I liked this better than the novel (Name of the Game). I finished reading Blue Ruin [01]: Some Kind of Stranger, and didn't like it. I won't be touching the sequel with a ten inch pole.
I'm trying to figure out what I should read tonight, I was thinking of Paul's Dream by Rowan McBride or trying Capital Games by G.A. Hauser. What I really want is to read a good story about kids my age. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and by Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.
6 comments:
I honestly can't answer your question regarding other writers. I can only give you a personal response. I do have a couple of menage stories in the works, as you know, but the sole reason is that the story dictated. The first was inspired by a drink title and the publisher's guidelines, and the second was m/f until another writer pointed out an interest in a relationship between the two male characters. I 'knew' she was right BUT I couldn't make it a m/m story. The plot wouldn't work, so I let inspiration take me where it wanted and it's worked out to be exactly what the story needed. I don't read much menage, unless it's by an author I love in general and if I love an author that much I tend to read everything they produce. I can tell you that I definitely will NOT be making a habit of writing menages.
As to why publishers push them out, it probably comes down to what their authors are sending in and what trends they see in the market. It may not be the market for everyone, but publishers make decisions for business not creative reasons, and so too, do many authors. For some authors, it's probably looked upon as a harmless fantasy. Me... I let the story dictate but then I don't come from a romance background so maybe my take is a little different.
Funny enough, I'm reading "All Through the Night" right now. I started off with Hot Target and had to know what happened to Jules and Robin. :o)
Hi Sharon,
It's been awhile. I hope things are well with you. I can totally understand your point of view, sometimes a story just dictates what it dictates. But I feel that so many books are overrun with the "alternative" relationships and less on more traditional relationships, that I feel there is less to pick for me as a reader.
I can tell you that I definitely will NOT be making a habit of writing menages.
I try not to act like menages are some dirty thing. Because they aren't, and I try to refrain from acting like a drama queen in regards. But that is a mighty fine reassurance. Because I'd be quite sad if I couldn't read anymore of your stories.
I also understand that business reason. I do, so don't mistaken my dislike for the genre for not understanding that. Publisher's can be as nice as they want, but money is all they are interested in, and that is fine. After all a publisher is a business. But when you see a publisher who releases four books (or five) every two weeks, and those four (or five) book contain a menage theme, it really starts getting to you.
Force of Nature was amazing in my eyes. I loved that book the best. I adore "All Through the Night" too, but the raw emotions between Jules and Robin in "Force of Nature" just stunned me.
No, you're right. There should be something out there for everyone, and I think it's important for any publisher to remember that because why lose any portion of your readership?
I have had stories surprise me. The Swithin "Comet" books turned out a completely different way than I planned. I just couldn't separate my three guys -- it would have been too heartbreaking, but in this instance, it also fit the story of a race that live a different way. It was also my way of saying let people love who they want to love. Menages exist in real life and that's fine for those in such a relationship. It doesn't mean that's it's something I'd want for myself, and it is a shame that more 'traditional' relationship stories seem to fall by the wayside. I expect you'll see these things go in circles.
I agree -- Force of Nature was probably the best. I heard many review the books saying that Robin didn't deserve Jules but I think the author handled it well, Robin won me over in the end, and due to said reviews, it was a much better read than I expected.
Exactly. I mean every publisher I visit tends to have an overabundance of the theme I mentioned. And whilst I understand the business prospect in this matter. A publisher can't honestly think, every person who reads an e-book wants a menage and erotic themes?
(Due to that I've been shifting through iUniverse and Lulu to see any good gay-themed books. I really want less sex in my stories.)
Of course, as you said people are in three-way relationships in real life. I think I mentioned to you, my own ways of reading, which probably differs from others. I do have your first book, it is still in my TBR pile. As I said previously, your storytelling is what sets you apart, and with that I shall read book one. (I promise it will happen...one day lol).
I don't see how Robin didn't deserve Jules. He was a drunk and in the closest. I'm sorry but more than half the gay movies that are made, focuses on the latter at times. But yeah don't share the same opinion there.
I felt Jules went a little OOC in 'All through the Night'. Robin was desperate for Jules, and once he got him, their roles switched around and it was Jules that was all wacky. I don't know...I've only read Hot Target and Force of Nature, and I know Jules was introduced long before that. But, I didn't see him as the jealous and possessive man, the author made him out to be in HT and FoN.
Search out Alex Beecroft's 'Captain's Surrender' at Linden Bay. Seriously. I know Alex (we both started the Britwriters blog) but I would not rate her book if I didn't mean it. I LOVED this story. If you don't mind less sex (and I sometimes wish some of the publishers would ease up rather than keep asking for hotter) then this is a great read.
I actually have her book (and I think I had the BLOG bookmarked too). Anyway, I bought it because so many people were raving about it, and I thought despite it not being the genre I like, why not? It is in my TBR pile. I'm kind of going back into my read pile, and reading some old favourites, and reading Stephenie Meyer's New Moon (which makes me want to hurt someone *coughs*).
Post a Comment